Monday 3 January 2011

Ben Nicholson 2

I received advice from the student forum that I found very helpful.
Anned give me an idea where I can go.
Although I do not like paintings by Ben Nicholson and do not like him as a person, there is no point putting my personal feelings into research.  I need to find something positive about his drawing and forget about his personality, even though it comes through in all of his drawings.   He definitely should be in art history, in my opinion, because, actually, if he did not go to the Cornwall community with his wife, we would have never heard about many artists; he had an influence on many people’s lives.
So, if you look at this still-life, you can get a topographic view of small fields, they are very common in Cornwall, the edge of Dartmoor and western Ireland.  As he lived in Cornwall, he definitely tried to draw the Cornish landscape as an abstract painter.  It is true that I do not connect with his paintings, but it is not necessary that he has different feelings about Cornwall.  Everybody responds differently and two people can see the same view with the same eyes.  His vision of Cornwall is mathematically proportioned without any obvious feelings for the land, but, maybe, that is how he saw it?

No comments:

Post a Comment