Monday 3 January 2011

25 november progress or regress?

Yesterday I spend all day with my girl.  We went to the beach to collect pieces for drawing.  No drift wood, but I guess get drift wood in the Mediterranean sea is not as easy to find as in an ocean.  But we picked up a lot of  shells and rocks. Although I saw drift wood on a town sculpture, I definitely cannot steal it and bring it home to make a composition.  When I passed the fish shop, my attention was attracted by beautiful things on sale there.  It was sea anemones! I do not know how to cook or eat them, but they look wonderful to draw.  When I get some money, I will buy some if they will still be on sale.  But definitely plenty of fish there everyday.
So this morning I made a composition from all these beach things, but something bothered me.  First I had the idea that maybe it is previous day’s drawing with onions where you draw an optical illusion (water and onions through glass) that bothered me, but then I thought, no, it is something else.
The next idea that came to my head was that perhaps it is pastels. Ok, I desided I will do a quick drawing in charcoal to make myself happy and move to pastel.  To my horror, my drawing in charcoal was awfull.  All my clean lines were gone and I started to draw like a beginner with short lines coming one on another .
I do not know what affected me to become worse in this media.  All this reading about pastel s or just wrong tutorials.  I looked in books again and I think I will try to find books about charcoal from German or Russian artists who are very good in this media and some new tutorials for pastels too.
I do not want name the book from a pastels artist from America, but all her ideas about colour in pastels look like somebody who has taken LSD and draw after it; all colours as though they are from technical magazines using x-rays or infrared.  The human eye cannot see such colours.   Sometimes, after reading books about art, you start believe that you have visited a madhouse or an illusionist shop that make tricks without explanations and call it a tutorial.  Very often it looks as though art is like the story about the naked king who walked proudly on street and believed that he was dressed. Only one boy had the nerve to say the king was actually naked.
I think it was good that I stopped drawing for a while and look at all of my drawing with critisism.  It looks as though I have finally started to develope an eye for it.
I deliberately try to study medias in which I am bad.  There is no point drawing in ink or pencils in which I am quite good.  I want to learn to do that I was not able to do before I started this course; I came here to learn new techniques; I made time for it.
Now I think I will be able to make a project to create an artistic house.  I need to make an art and business plan for it and calculate the exact cost of materials and maybe make changes to some ideas before it is too late.  If I manage to make the project right, I might find funds for it and speak with potential buyers for support and protection for the project.  No point being arty-farty, it is not in my character, so no point even trying to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment